- Digestion - Triphala helps in digestion by stimulating the mucosal lining of the stomach and the intestinal tract.Due to this it effectively relieves constipation and can be used to regulate the proper functioning of the stomach and colon.It also helps in the cleansing of the bowels and is one of the best body detoxifiers.
- Acts as an appetizer - This is due to the ability to help in the proper digestion of food.
- Flatulence - It helps in dissolving toxic acids in the stomach and is therefore given to people with acidity, hyper acidity or acid influx.
- Gout - Has anti-inflammatory properties which help in curing or lessening the effects of gout.
- Assists in weight loss -This is due to the component amla which is known to break up the accumulation of fat in the body.
- Boosts the immune system - Triphala contains antioxidants which boost immunity and help fight bacteria that cause diseases.
- Reduction of blood pressure - Triphala has spasm releasing properties that helps in the reduction of high blood pressure and as a result aids easy flow of blood through arteries.It reduces plaque formation in the arteries and therefore reduces the risk of heart related problems.
- Cholesterol - Maintains the right cholesterol balance by promoting good cholesterol and inhibiting bad cholesterol in the body.
- Alleviates anemia - It helps in the production of red blood cells and aids in anemic situations.
- Rejuvenates tissue - Helps rejuvenate tissue as well as nourish tissue in the body.
- Respiratory system benefits - It increases immunity in the body and as a result helps to counter allergies.Has mucolytic actions and assists in expelling excess mucus that can accumulate and cause infections.
- Benefits to the eyes - Increases vision and is a powerful eye tonic for curing eye related problems.
- Headache relief - Recommended in chronic and acute headaches and even migraine due to the anti-inflammatory properties.
- Fights fatigue - Triphala fights fatigue by eradicating the lactic acid that is formed in the body.
- Urinary tract benefits - It helps in the treatment of urinary tract infections including dysuria where there is painful urination.
- Skin benefits - It can be used as a skin tonic and for various skin ailments due to it's antioxidant properties. It also prevents signs of aging like wrinkles and premature graying of the hair.
- Benefits on the liver - Stimulates the liver to function optimally and helps in the secretion of bile juices.It is also a blood purifier.
Triphala is typically taken in a powdered form, frequently in a tea. It does however, have a very strong taste which many in the West find objectionable. For those wanting the health benefits of this ancient remedy but want to avoid the taste, Triphala is available in capsule form which can be swallowed easily with water. It is a very inexpensive dietary supplement which is widely available from online retailers like Amazon.
If you are interested in giving Triphala a try for yourself, be sure to find a product manufactured and tested in the USA in an FDA inspected facility. Some foreign forms of the herbal mixture have been found to contain additional harmful elements due to poor quality control.